Bird Control, Deterrent and Management Services
We are Dorset and Hampshire’s leading bird control specialists with local knowledge. Having worked in the industry for many years all of our services are provided in house and not sub contracted, thus ensuring we deliver to the highest standards. Whatever the Bird problem may be, our Bird Control technicians have the expertise to eliminate the problem using falcons and hawks, audio and visual deterrents and the latest in laser technology. We are fully trained and experienced in the installation of bird netting, bird spiking, sprung wire and bird deterrent gels. Call now to book a free survey with no obligation quote.
As we are Dorset and Hampshire’s leading bird control specialists we provide years of experience and able to offer a complete range of bird control services to tackle any bird problem that you may encounter
We have vast knowledge of bird and pest control locally, having worked on large contracts with the MOD at HMNB Portsmouth, Veolia and Sita Waste management, Southampton docks, Fawley oil refinery, Town councils and Airports.
What Birds does this include?
There are many situations that can be encountered from any type or species of bird, each and every bird is protected by law under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 however many are controllable under General License issued by Natural England. The more common species that fall into this category are:
- Feral Pigeon, Columba livia
- Lesser Black Backed Gull Larus fuscus
- Crow, Corvus corone
- Jackdaw, Corvus monedula
- Rook, Corvus frugilegus
- Magpie, Pica pica
- Jay, Garrulus glandarius
- Starling, Sturnus vulgaris
- Canada Geese Branta canadensis
- Dove, Collared Streptopelia decaocto
Other species such as the Herring Gull larus argentatus are no longer on the General Licence but are still controllable, nest and eggs can be removed from buildings or egg oiling can still be carried out during the nesting season. If the problem is related to air safety or Landfill operations a site specific licence can be granted on application to Natural England
Why MBC Bird and Pest?
Our operatives are fully conversant with the type of bird species concerned, their habits and the control methods available. In addition we offer
- Technicians fully trained in falconry and all bird proofing applications
- Free and detailed site surveys
- A 2 year guarantee on all bird proofing installations
- Advice on legislation – Protected species, egg and nest removal
- Bespoke packages long or shot term, contract or non contract with cost effective bird control or bird proofing solutions.
- Bird guano carries a serious health risk, we offer a specialist guano cleaning service
As the leading bird control specialist in Dorset and Hampshire we have access to vast range of bird deterrent services and bird scaring products available.
Bird scaring is often a part of the larger picture in regard to a bird control programme. Initially we attempt to scare the birds away prior to commencement of any proofing work being undertaken particularly in Seagull installations as they tend to be aggressive, live falconry is our preferred method to achieve this as trials have shown and proven this to be the most ideal method available.
Dependant on the type of bird to be deterred other methods of bird scaring usually come into consideration at some point, such as automatic or manual audio deterrents, electronic or visual deterrents such kites, lasers and bird of prey decoys. Whatever the method we may recommend or you choose to apply each has its own niche somewhere, all have advantages and disadvantages when introduced as part of a complete bird control programme so it’s important to seek a company that has a proven track record in bird control and employs technicians who have the experience and qualifications whereby you can then be sure you have received the best advice and expertise available.
Specialist Guano Cleaning
We offer specialist bird services such as bird guano cleaning and removal from residential and commercial properties and solar Panel installations. We also remove nesting gull debris from roofs, post nesting and clean to prevent gutter blockage and water ingression to buildings.[gdl_gallery title=”Guano Cleaning” width=”180″ height=”180″ ]
MBC Bird and Pest Solutions has the experience to neutralise the risks associated to cleaning huge guano infested sites ranging from shipyards, dock areas, disused warehouses, aircraft hangars, warships, and buildings.
We also carry out professional guano cleaning for the residential sector to include loft spaces, old houses, barns and courtyards.
If you have a guano problem you should consult a qualified expert due to the risk of disease and the need to remove any problem birds or install a bird proofing system to prevent re-infestation.
What are the risks of Guano?
Pigeon guano carries serious health risks through both dry dust and wet compacted waste which has accumulated over a period of time. Those commonly known to be associated with bird guano are generally inhaled, there are also pathogenic organisms parasites and worms present in guano and most can be transmitted the humans.
There are 3 major diseases
- Psittacosis typically causes influenza-like symptoms, and can lead to severe pneumonia and non-respiratory health problems. It is an acute generalised respiratory disease with an incubation period of between one and four weeks.
- Histoplasmosis is a disease caused by the fungus Histoplasma capsulatum. The fungus lives in the environment, usually in association with large amounts of bird or bat droppings. Lung infection can occur after a person inhales airborne, microscopic fungal spores from the environment; however, many people who inhale the spores do not get sick. The symptoms of histoplasmosis are similar to pneumonia, and the infection can sometimes become serious if it is not treated.
- Cryptococcosis is a fungal disease caused by Cryptococcus neoformans or Cryptococcus gattii. Most people do not get sick with cryptococcosis, but some people are more likely than others to get this disease. For these people, cryptococcosis can cause serious symptoms of lung, brain and spinal cord disease, such as headaches, fever, cough, shortness of breath, and night sweats.
Can animals transmit cryptococcosis to me?
Not directly. Cryptococcus neoformans is found in the droppings of wild birds (such as pigeons). When dried bird droppings are stirred up, this can make dust containing Cryptococcus neoformans go into the air. People can stir up this dust and then breathe it in when they work, play, or walk in areas where birds have been. Pets, such as dogs and cats, can also get sick with cryptococcosis from this dust, but people do not get cryptococcosis from dogs and cats.
In substantial quantities bird guano’s acidic matter can also cause damage to the fabric of buildings which in turn, leads to higher cleaning and repair bills. Large quantities of guano can also be infested with blood-feeding insects.
Health & Safety
Whilst it’s safe to clean up the odd bird dropping, handling guano by quantity should be done with care – Measures should be taken at all times to protect staff, contractors and public health if working near to or on a guano infested site. There are many health and safety regulations and waste disposal considerations that need to be followed when working with or near bird guano. Anyone doing so should observe the regulations below or consult an experienced professional.
- The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992, Regulation 3
- The Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992 (SI 1992/2932)
- The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 1994
Contact us: on 01202 604011 or 07968 052219
MBC Wildlife Conservation
It’s not all about eradicating pests – Lester Bird and Pest carries out conservation work.